Instead of pancakes for breakfast, how about pancakes for dinner? These veggie pancakes are reminiscent of hash browns, but they are so much better. Slightly sweet but mostly savory these are the perfect side dish to any lean protein or over-easy egg.
Mini Veggie Pancakes
(Adapted from: Healthy Family Meals)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 small sweet potato (about 6 ounces), peeled and shredded
- 1 small zucchini (about 4 ounces), shredded
- 1 tbsp. oat flour
- ½ tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks.
- Stir in the Sweet potato, zucchini, flour, oregano, garlic powder and salt.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Press some of the sweet potato mixture into a ¼ -cup measuring cup. Invert in the skillet.
- Remove the cup and, using a spoon, slightly press the mixture to form a pancake. Repeat to make 7 more pancakes.
- Remove the skillet from the stovetop. Lightly spray the pancake tops with cooking spray. Return to heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Transfer to a plate and serve.
Stefanie Gates, chef, is a regular contributor to our blog and a culinary advisor for PreviMedica. She enjoys developing recipes and creating cooking videos to share with our readers, as well as working one-on-one with our clients to teach them valuable cooking skills. You can learn more about her here.