Previ Culinary: Gluten and Dairy free Mac and Cheese
What if you could have luxuriously creamy mac and cheese but avoid all of the dairy? This vegan mac and cheese is an absolute hit in our office. Cashews are blended to make a thick and creamy sauce and with the right seasonings, it is the perfect replica of cheese sauce. Tie in gluten free elbow noodles and you have the ultimate gluten and dairy free comfort food!
Gluten and Dairy Free Creamy Mac and Cheese
Adapted from: Alternative Medicine Magazine, Issue 17
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. box gluten free pasta, cooked
- Cook the pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except for the pasta in a high power blender. Blend until the sauce is completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- In a large saucepan, heat the sauce and stir in cooked pasta. Cook until bubbly. The sauce will continue to thicken as heated. Feel free to add any other ingredients such as chopped red bell pepper, broccoli, chopped tomatoes, etc.
*Alternately, you can cook the pasta al dente and then mix with sauce. Pour into an 8×12 baking dish and bake in the oven at 375°F for 17-18 minutes, or until thickened as desired.
Megan Huard, Chef RD and Stefanie Gates, chef, are regular contributors to our blog and culinary advisors for PreviMedica. They enjoy developing recipes and creating cooking videos to share with our readers, as well as working one-on-one with our clients to teach them valuable cooking skills. You can learn more about them here and here.