Previ Culinary: How to Make Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Ghee, or clarified butter, is a delicious way to still enjoy the flavor of butter without the casein and whey. It is easily found in the grocery store, but did you know that you can make your own at a fraction of the price? Watch the video to find out how!
How to Make Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Written By: Stefanie Gates, Culinary Advisor
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- Saute pan or small sauce pot
- Spoon or ladle
- Begin by placing the butter into the pan and turning it on to medium heat. For faster melting slice the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, turn the heat to low. This is a low and slow process.
- Soon, the butter will begin to bubble and you will see separation happening. The whey will rise to the top and the milk solids will sink to the bottom. Skim the whey off of the top with a spoon or ladle being careful not to remove the butter. Let this happen slowly, it will keep separating.
- Once you are sure it has all separated and you have skimmed all of the whey off of the top, turn the heat off and let it cool. Once it’s cool, carefully spoon the clarified butter into a jar being careful not to include the milk solids that have separated into the bottom of the pan.
- Refrigerate and use as you would butter or oil!
Stefanie Gates, chef, is a regular contributor to our blog and a culinary advisor for PreviMedica. She enjoys developing recipes and creating cooking videos to share with our readers, as well as working one-on-one with our clients to teach them valuable cooking skills. You can learn more about her here.